2014-02-21

Have we 'lost' our 'Spare Time'?

When I looked at the blog this morning, I was suprised to see that nothing has been uploaded since new year. Is this because none of us has no time to send links or upload our comments?

It would appear that we just don't have time for this. The club has a web site, www.zs6wr.co.za . Not much has happened there either... I know Geoff has moved QTH. Everything is in boxes. Been there and done that. Any move is a traumatic event and really unsettles you. His story about the scrap skips emptying magically overnight is amusing. Apparently (according to my overseas sources), it doesn't only happen in South Africa.

My stepson (according to Edith), Joe van Zyl, is staying with us right now. He was telling me the other night about how the print media has still not switched over to web based magazines and newspapers. The disadvantages are outweighing the advantages. It was especially interesting for me to find out that the news etc had moved to web based feeds and the print media (i.e. newspapers) were 'shrinking'. For one reason the news was almost in 'real time' and it was also 'free'. 

One aspect of the Anode was the 'snippets' of news and events of interest to the Amateur Radio fraternity. I used the word 'fraternity' is a non-sexist way. As the Anode would 'come out' at the main meeting every month, it would be anything up to a month late! So many comments that the news was 'out of date', I wondered why I should bother. Like all technology today, Amateur Radio is moving ahead at an ever increasing pace. 

Amateur Radio is now nearly 100 years old. It has been at the forefront of invention and 'high tech' for all of those years. Are 'we' now has beens? No! Every day there is some new aspect to the hobby. The only way we can keep up with this 'progress', is via the Internet. So send your comments to the blog or the web site.

What I realised was that if I devote my time to producing the club's newsletter, I don't have time for my hobby. Now I would rather be a 'doer' than just write about doing it.

73
John Brock ZS6WL
 

1 comment: